Thursday, October 17, 2013

Spanish fails

     Sometimes people say things to me in ways that I just don't understand. A lot of the times it's not because I don't understand the word, but it's because I've never heard it used in such a weird way. I take things very literally in Spanish because I don't quite have the abilities to speak properly and add the correct tones and moods to match the context. This makes sarcasm and jokes very difficult.
     The other day when I arrived to the gym, the trainer asked me something along the lines of, "are you ready to do some exercise?" like as motivation or encouragement. What she actually said translated to me as "are you going to move?" So I took that very literally and thought she needed me to move from the bike I was at, or I needed to adjust the seating or something. This ended in a lot of confusion and awkward smiles as I just put my headphones in and laughed, eventually figuring out what she said.
    On my way back from Chile, I was talking to the old man in front of me while waiting to pass through customs, and he asked how I was liking Mendoza, but the word he used was "tratar" which I've always thought meant "to try," but I guess has another meaning of "to treat," so what he really asked was how is Mendoza treating me. I had to ask him to clarify this, and he told me I'm obviously not a Mendocino yet and laughed.
     When we had my 6 year old host granddaughter over and her mom for dinner a couple weeks ago, the granddaughter was served something different than us even though she wanted what everyone else had. So my host mom told her that what we had wasn't very good anyway and that nobody liked it. I missed the intro into this conversation, so when she asked me if I liked it, and I obviously said yes, I accidentally ruined her scheme a little.
    It's hard to relate to kids in another language. I already have trouble relating to kids in English sometimes, but now the only thing I really can ask them is their name and how old they are. I'm not very good at playing games with them either. And sometimes kids speak in such quiet and innocent voices I can't understand anything they say. I think the granddaughter gets bored with me when she's over because I sometimes just stare and nod my head. Sometimes I feel equivalent to a 2 year old here.
     
    

1 comment:

  1. Hey, those kind of things happen to me when people are speaking English!

    ReplyDelete