Wednesday, October 30, 2013

El segundo corte del agua

    A month ago we were supposed to have a corte del agua in the city where the city was going to shut off water because they were cleaning a dam in Potririllos. My part of the city wasn't actually affected after all, so even though I filled up a bunch of water bottles on reserve for the 36 hours we weren't supposed to have water, it ended up not being a problem.
    Today a pipe broke in Mendoza that is a major supplier of water to the city, and because of this, we are having a spontaneous corte del agua, which no one was prepared for. This was ground to cancel classes at the universities (but not our program classes of course). The schools here will use any excuse to cancel classes and take holidays. Zonda wind, for example. My music professor has been sick from the zonda multiple times. Monday, the elementary schools didn't have class either because the election took place on Sunday, and the whole city votes in the elementary schools, so they took a day off of class to sanitize the schools. Add today, and possibly tomorrow, this week could've been an entire week vacation. Except we better have class tomorrow, because my 5 page paper is due, and that's some of the only real work I've done here lately, so it deserves to be turned in on time.
    So I'm not allowed to shower, flush my toilet, or wash my dishes, because we weren't prepared for this corte del agua. Luckily I have one 2 liter bottle full for emergencies, and I'll probably have to go buy water too. I've heard estimates from 8 hours to 24 hours for how long this is going to last, so I guess I'll find out if I have water in the morning or not. It was probably a bad decision to go to the gym knowing that I couldn't shower after. I might stink like B.O all tomorrow.

Update: The corte lasted for over 24 hours in some parts of the city, longer in others. My house didn't have water until the next day. My history class wasn't canceled the next day because that building still had water. What I don't understand is why the university was watering the lawn (more of the water actually ends up on the sidewalk) while half the town didn't have water. Even our study abroad office didn't have water, and we still had classes there, and weren't allowed to use the bathroom. This made me really realize how much we depend on running water these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment