Thursday, October 3, 2013

Corte de Agua

So last weekend we were dying of dehydration during our attempt at camping. And this weekend the government is cutting off the water supply for two days to the city of Mendoza. It's called a corte de agua (cut to water supply) and is happening because for the first time in maybe 20 years, the government is going to clean the dam in Potrerillos, which doesn't leave enough water for the residents of Mendoza too. Every house has a water tank, and starting at noon on Friday, there won't be any more water supplied to houses except this water tank. It is supposed to last until sometime on Saturday, although I heard rumors that the corte could last three days. I'm not allowed to shower, and the water in the tank is going to be reserved for emergencies. My host mom brought me a big jug of water to use to refill the toilet, and I filled up every water bottle I have and my camelbak which hopefully is enough. My host mom said that she couldn't find bottled water in the grocery store by us yesterday, and had to go to a farther away grocery store to buy it. So if I run out, hopefully I'm not running around looking for water. Apparently the city has these cortes once or twice a year. I'm wondering how businesses like restaurants function when there isn't any water. Will they let me shower at the gym? My host brother said that in reality, they don't actually deny water to all of the city, I'm guessing that means just the residential areas...? But there's some discrepancy in my house; my host mom said yes, yes they do deny water to the whole city. So I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment