Tuesday, September 3, 2013

A little homesickness

I've reached that point after one month where little things are starting to bother me and I miss some of my norms back home. Its the things that we take for granted, like always being able to find your favorite food at the grocery store. I have to vent it out to make myself feel better, but for every negative aspect I list about Argentina, I'll list two positive aspects about my new life here to make up for the negativity.
1. I walk everywhere to avoid the bus system, and it takes up between 2 to 4 hours of my day, so I don't feel like or have time to work out during the weekdays.
However... anything beats taking the micro and getting lost... and... it is great exercise.
2. I have less freedom in my house here. I can't just use the phone whenever or eat whatever I want because my family usually only has specific food around for recipes.
However...I feel very safe in my house living with a family rather than if I had an apartment on my own or with friends. And...I have a lot of freedom to go out and return when I want for the night or weekend trips.
3. Professors are late to a lot of classes. I'm a very impatient person and can't stand wasting time.
However... this gives me more time to meet my classmates... and I can catch up on the readings I haven't done right before class.
4. Stores aren't open between 2 and 5 for the siesta hours. This is normally right when I'm done with class and I need to go shopping.
However.... This is a great time to run in the park because it's not full of people. And... the siesta hours give me a great excuse to take a nap too because normally I feel guilty taking naps.
5. The yogurt here is awful. In the states, I normally eat Greek yogurt every single day, and recently I've been craving it.
However... the milk is really good (because it's whole milk), and... I've been enjoying frosted flakes every morning for breakfast instead.
6. I can't walk anywhere after dark for fear of getting mugged. My host mom is very paranoid, and it's made me very cautious. Because of this, I have to take taxis everywhere after dark, because I still haven't learned how to take the micro everywhere and wouldn't feel safe on that either.
However... taxi drivers are a good excuse to practice Spanish, and... at least I'm getting home safely and quicker than if I were to walk.
7. I still don't understand the night life here. After staying out til 6, I sleep til 12 pm and waste my entire day feeling groggy and tired.
However... we dance all night, which is a great workout, and...you can find really great food at 5 or 6 in the morning for breakfast. For example this weekend I got a cheese and spinach quesadilla with some friends in a little kiosk type place at 6 am before going home to pass out. 
8. I've had to wait 30 to 50 minutes at the photocopy business on campus to get the texts I need to read for class 3 times now.
However...what I pay for copied textbooks is definitely cheaper than 200 dollar textbooks at home. And... This is normally where I've met locals to help me out in class.
I think I've adjusted pretty well to life here. I honestly forget I'm abroad sometimes when I'm just walking through the park and it feels normal to be here. It helps that IFSA is so organized and I'm surrounded by great people.


1 comment:

  1. I love the attitude -- PMA (positive mental attitude) will keep you a happy person. Interesting observations. And btw, Chobani was just recalled due to mold making people sick. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete