Tuesday, September 24, 2013

30 hours later...

    This is the longest amount of time I've ever spent in a bus or airplane. The first half was easy because I slept. But the second half was harder because I was awake!
    I upgraded from a semi-cama to a cama (bed) type of chair for this ride, and it was definitely worth the extra 12 dollars. The chairs are much bigger, and recline farther, and the service is great too. We got a pillow, blanket, and magazine. The bus left around 9 pm Sunday night, and dinner was served around midnight. I actually really liked the food we got. The bus pulled over at a gas station to meet a van that supplied the bus with food. We had two trays of food for dinner. The first was a tray of meat and cheese cold cuts, crackers, a roll, half a canned peach, and a mini tarta. Then we got hot food, which was milanesa and mashed potatoes. With dinner they offered us wine multiple times, which helped me fall right asleep until 8 am when they came around with breakfast: a muffin and crackers.
    The cama is pretty comfortable. I've had to rearrange quite a bit, but that's normal for not sleeping in an actual bed. They played multiple movies, switching off between Spanish and English, and we even got two breaks to get off the bus around 11 am and 4 pm to stretch our legs for a little.
   There are six girls in my travel group for the rest of break, and we all decided to buy a secret snack for the bus, then surprise each other with it when the bus ride gets really bad. So every couple hours one of us has pulled out a treat to share with everyone in the group, including alfajores, cookies, and candies.
    We got served lunch, which I wasn't expecting, nor was I really hungry because all I've been doing is sitting. Then we also got a snack before the bus ended. So much food I wasn't expecting.
    We also played Bingo on the bus. We got little bingo cards and had to fill the whole card to win. Audrey won a bottle of wine! I passed a lot of the time that I wasn't asleep watching the DVD player's screen saver on the tv. I felt like I was in that episode of the office where they all watch the screen saver behind Michael Scott to see when the moving square bumps into the exact corner of the screen instead of the sides.
    We had to transfer buses in Tucuman and get on a new bus there to get to Salta. So after 22 hours to Tucuman, our bus to Salta was over 2 hours late. Then half way between that Tucuman and Salta, we were told to get off the bus and transfer to a new one, which we had no idea we needed to do. That's makes 30 hours traveling. What a relief to finally arrive.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment