Sunday, August 11, 2013

Punctuality and Productive Laziness

    One of these exists here, and the other doesn't.
    I experienced a thing called Guatemala time when I traveled to Guatemala last December. The family I stayed with would tell me that we'll leave at 6 am the next day, but in the morning, the family would wake up at 6:30, and casually get ready until we left probably around 7. It's part of the Latin American culture that time and punctuality does not matter as much in their daily lives. Mendoza is the same way, which means it is acceptable to be 10 to 20 minutes late to meetings and dates and classes and events. Seven o'clock really means 7- ish. This goes for both parties of an event too. I can be late to class because my teacher is late to class.
    I am normally a very punctual person and get annoyed when people are late, so I'm having to adjust to this new type of lifestyle. There are benefits to it, such as that I don't have to worry so much about being on time. But when friends are late, I need to remember to bring something to do while waiting, especially since I don't have my phone for internet and can't just sit on Facebook til my friends arrive. The other day I went to an orientation at the Universidad de Congresso. I arrived twenty minutes early, and it started 40 minutes late, and went about an hour over the time I thought it would end. By the time it was finished, I was only thinking about my lunch that was waiting for me at home that I was barely listening to the speech.
    I have decided that the main culprit of this lifestyle is the bus system. The micros are never on time, and you never know how long they are going to take, or if a tire is going to pop, so this makes people late all the time and everyone has accepted that.
    As for productive laziness, this might just be what the mendocinos are best at. We learned a new word in Spanish class, and its called "hacer fiaca." This basically means the equivalent of lounging around in bed, not sleeping, but not really doing anything either. It was necessary to learn because its a very common thing to do. My host family, along with many other families that my friends are staying with, like to hang out in bed for a majority of the day, especially the older generation that doesn't work. Part of the reason for this is that it is winter, and my family always says that they want to stay in bed because it is cold out. Netflix is very popular here. I'm experiencing this when I'm at home and not out with friends. I've had a lot of time to blog, catch up on the news, Skype with my family, and once real classes start... I'll have a lot of time to study.

No comments:

Post a Comment