Tuesday, August 20, 2013

No Regrets

    It has now been one month since I left my comfort zone of Colorado and started living like an Argentinian. The time has flown past and I can't believe I only have four months left. The scary part is that the first month was more like a vacation, and now I have to start focusing on classes for the next four months. I've got long walks into the city and the park each day, with plenty of time to think about my life here and everything I left in Colorado. I think about what my semester abroad would be like if I'd chosen to go to Spain, Chile, or maybe an English speaking country. Speaking Spanish every day is the hardest part, especially when switching back and forth from English, but I'm glad I accepted the challenge instead of going to a country with my native language. I can tell I'm starting to get better and gain confidence while speaking Spanish. I've started having conversations with my taxi drivers more, they often compliment me on my language abilities as we talk about the weather and food- simple concepts. I'm starting to talk to people in my classes. One girl invited me and Skylar and Sam to have a coke with her and her friends after class Thursday.  My biggest goal for the next few months is to meet more locals. I already love all the kids in my program, but I know I can't spend my whole time here with other international students, or my Spanish won't get any better.
    I wish I'd packed a little better; with the amount of productive laziness I've been producing so far, I really miss my big comfy sweatpants that I left at home. My shoes are also destroyed from all the walking I've done in the park and the city where there is so much dust and dirt. I've worn my black Northface every day while here and could've used a different jacket, but overall it is good to pack light. I'm probably going to buy so many alfajores (two cookies with dulce de leche filling) here to bring home that I'll need to get rid of some stuff in my suitcase anyway to make room.
     I'm really surprised how easy it was for me to leave my home. I've lived in Colorado all my life, went to college thirty minutes away and saw my family all the time. I was prepared to freak out a little when I got here, but still really haven't. Maybe by the time finals roll around it will have hit me that I'm living in another country.
    I also didn't really know what to expect of Mendoza when I arrived. I knew that it was next to the mountains, a smaller city and a wine region. What I didn't know was how much I was going to love the city, the cafés, the park by my house, and the dulce de leche. My biggest worries when arriving were the language barrier, and what it would be like to live with a host family. My family took away all my worries once I arrived (except for that alarm I set off the first day). They are so patient with me and help me with my Spanish. It's different living at home after living in a dorm for two years. In a way my room here is still like a dorm, because I have privacy and freedom and can leave when I want, but then I also get homecooked meals and get to experience the culture of an Argentinian family. 
    The next few months will be full of excitement and stress. I have my first written test in my modern history class in a week and a half. But we're also planning more trips out of Mendoza, and it will be getting warmer here when spring arrives. We've already had some very hot winter days, so I'm expecting summer to be really hot. Sometimes I forget that Mendoza is considered a desert, but it explains the hot temperatures during the day and freezing cold weather at night. I'm already planning my parents trip for when they come visit me in December. I'll be taking them to all the places I've written about so far, and I'm sure that list will grow as I experience more too.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment