Saturday, August 3, 2013

Bus Tour

  My program includes a few group excursions while I'm here, and we went on our first one today on an open air bus tour of San Martin Park. I live right next to this park, so I'd seen a little bit of it already when I run or on my way to class, but the park is very very big and this was a great way to see more of it and learn what is right in my backyard.
    There is so much more in the park than I would've known. I've looked at a map to see what there is in the park, but it was fun to see everything from the bus. The park actually starts to gain some altitude as we drove farther west into the park and up some rolling hills, which I hadn't expected. I thought the mountains were a little farther away. We drove up one hill where there is a wall with a condor imprinted in the bricks, and there were many condors flying overhead at the same time.
    We stopped at a monument to the Army of the Andes, too, which was at the top of a smaller mountain where we saw people mountain biking and many people running up the hill.
    There is also an outdoor ampitheater in the park where some events happen, probably when it is closer to summer time. I wish it was like Red Rocks where I could go run the steps, but I think it's closed off when not being used.
    From our bus we could see all of Mendoza hidden behind the mountains which was really neat. There aren't many tall buildings here because Mendoza actually experiences a lot of earthquakes and tremors, which I have yet to experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment