Wednesday, July 31, 2013

How to detect a fake Peso

    Last week Jose passed around a couple different pesos for us to look at to help us detect a fake peso when exchanging money. It is important to look at the watermark on the bill, which is the same image as the person's face on the bill, but smaller. Some of the bills had the face drawn on the bill, and they were pretty obviously fake because they were not the same image. There is also a silver strip on the bill we need to look for, and the material of the bill needs to be correct.
    Today I tested out my knowledge when exchanging money at an arbolito by McDonalds. There are men who stand outside of McDonalds and ask "cambio, cambio, cambio" as people walk by. I stopped to ask what he was offering to exchange, and he offered 8.2 pesos to the dollar, which is the best I've found here. I made two friends come with me for safety, but he took us to his "office", which was his little T-Shirt shop inside a little street mall, and we exchanged money. I know I should've been a little more sketched out than I was, but I felt pretty safe, and I'm pretty sure that the pesos are real.

2 comments:

  1. Can't say I'm thrilled my daughter is buying money on the black market, but I know your dad is proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea Gail, that must be a weird feeling knowing that!

      Delete