Saturday, July 27, 2013

Falsa Alarma!

    I went out to explore the city with some girls in my program yesterday afternoon, Jessie and Andy. We walked to a government building where there was a flag memorial, and an art museum that unfortunately was closed. We walked to Parque Civico to learn a little about the city and practice using our maps. I'm trying to memorize the street names. When people tell me the street names, it's very difficult to remember. I need to see it on a map and see hows it spelled in order to remember it.  
     I'd been in and out of the host family's house once earlier when I went to the grocery store, and I have my own keys, but when I returned this time, nobody was home, and I was completely unaware than an alarm had been activated for the house. I was actually completely unaware that the family even had an alarm system. So when I opened the front door and all the lights were off, I heard a beeping waiting for a code and automatically realized I was going to set off the alarm. I didn't know what to do, and after 10 seconds the alarm went off, and was a lot louder than I was expecting. You could probably have heard it 4 blocks away.  I didn't want the police to show up and arrest me for breaking and entering, so I quickly went outside, locked the door, and in a panic, went to the neighbors house, were another student from our program is staying, and tried to explain myself. People were looking at me funny for running from the alarming house, and I was so embarrassed. The alarm went through a whole list of people to call for emergencies, so eventually the family returned, along with all of their friends and family, and they had to explain what happened.
    After that, I had the family go over with me the alarm system at least 5 times so I perfectly understood. I do not want that happening if I come home in the middle of the night.



No comments:

Post a Comment