Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Oh... Now I understand

A couple things that recently have been explained to me:

1. For the entire semester, our "advanced Spanish" class has not had a set classroom in the building where we have classes. The other two levels of Spanish classes for our program do, but we are always wandering around the building for half an hour trying to find our professor, or just waiting for her to find us, because the classroom is never the same. We've lasted for maybe two weeks in the same room in the way back of the building, but our classes normally get interrupted by another professor asking why we are in her room, or this is a conference going on and we can't use the room. It's ridiculous; we waste half an hour of class every day.
   Our professor, Marisol, finally explained to us that this happens because she is a new teacher with less experience, and only the more experienced professors have their own classrooms. Since Marisol is the newbie, she doesn't have the power yet to claim a classroom of her own, so we just get put wherever there is space for the day.

2. Pop bottles and beer bottles here are returnable and reused. The two liter pop bottles are made of really stiff plastic, and the liter beer bottles are glass. I've never bought soda here, but when I've bought beer in the past, you get charged an extra 4 pesos or so, and you get this money back if you bring the bottles back to that store with the receipt. So I thought I understood this concept of "envase retournable", until the man at the kiosk refused to sell me and my friends beer, and kept telling us something I didn't understand. I was so confused why I couldn't just bring the bottle back the next day. It sounded like he was telling me I needed to put the beer in a cup to be able to buy it. But the reason is that some kiosks function a little differently, and you need to bring an empty bottle to the store to be able to trade that empty bottle for the beer you are buying. So you can't buy beer unless you already have an empty bottle.

However, this is something that confirmed my previous beliefs after a moment of doubt:
     My history professor pretty much said that if she can see we are trying in class, she will pass us.  But then on our second partial exam, two of the IFSA students in my class received failing grades (I passed, luckily). However, my test and the other two passing grades out of the 5 of us IFSA students in that class, had nothing written on the test except "Aprobar" and a couple random squiggles to make it seem like the professor read it (she probably saw the "intercambio" I wrote really big on the top of my paper and just passed me automatically). Whereas the two failing grades were actually all marked up, with comments and a percentage grade. The two girls went to talk to the professor in charge of the class, and turned out that one of the other professors for the class graded them instead of the one in charge of the class, and didn't grade them as foreign exchange students. And easy enough, she changed their grade to passing. It's almost like we can do no wrong in this class. But next week is our last week of classes anyway before our final, so there isn't much left to do anyway except take the final.

No comments:

Post a Comment