Saturday, December 21, 2013

Reverse Culture Shock

    I cant believe I'm home. I saw my dog, saw my friends, handed out Argentine gifts (I'm saving lots for Christmas- I spent my last 200 pesos on Alfajores), and am quickly adjusting to normalcy. But there are some things that I'm not quite used to yet that just don't feel natural. For one, I'm in such a habit of putting the toilet paper in the trash instead of the toilet, that if I don't break this habit, my roommate at DU is not going to be happy with me. Second, although I've been saying I can't wait for the snow, I really meant I can't wait for the snow in the mountains when I ski, and not in town where I have to drive and walk in the cold. I'm coming from 100 degree weather to 20 degrees, and not Celsius. Third, I am used to talking to my IFSA American friends in English, and strangers in Spanish. For example, ordering food, or going through processes at an airport, or meeting someone for the first time- these are all times I would normally use Spanish. I need to remember to greet people in English now. Fourth, I've felt like an 8th grader the past 5 months based on the academic level of my classes. I start the accounting core in 2 weeks, which is going to be the biggest culture shock of all when I actually have to go to classes and study to pass my class.
    The past five months were the most adventurous times of my life. I traveled almost all of Argentina, and the two surrounding countries. I made some of the greatest friends that I am sure we will stay in touch and remember our adventures together forever. We already have reunions planned. I learned so much about myself and about other cultures, demonstrating to me what is important in life and how a society becomes successful and efficient. I appreciate so much more now. My life in Colorado is so much more fortunate than a large percentage of the Argentine population. Who knows if I will get an opportunity like this ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment